Saturday, October 18, 2008

Pleasure and prejudice...

So, I was in Chicago last week, which by the way, has the most beautiful downtown that I have seen so far. I was going from O'Hare to Lake/Clark station to my hotel room. I did not get a seat until half way through the forty-five minute ride. I was in a portion of the compartment where all the seven passengers were brown. A few people got down at a station and there were two vacant seats. One among the brown guys which was closest to where I was standing and the other one beside a young blond woman in her early twenties. It was more than a couple of rows away. So, I thought for a moment about which seat I should take. I wanted to SEIZE this opportunity to prove a point that, the brown guys don't really travel in packs and in fact we like to get assimilated with the general American public. So, I RUSHED to sit beside the blond woman.

Here I was, with a NOBLE intention of disproving all the stereotypical notions about desis and as soon as I sat down on the chosen seat, everybody was looking at me as if I had broken some unwritten law or something. I gave a big smile to the petite woman beside me to which she did not smile back and instead to my great surprise, was almost saying...YOU CREEP. I was like....WHAT? WHAT did I do wrong? The reaction of the brown guys was even more appalling as if, we were into some kind of a secret brown man's club and I breached it's code of conduct. In fact, I was preserving the brown man's identity by trying to stand out among a group of white people. So, in those few moments, I knew EXACTLY how Gandhi must have felt in Durban, South Africa a century ago. In essence, I was reliving an experience that's going to potentially make a Mahatma out of me. But, it was funny how people misconstrued my true intentions ;)...

2 comments:

Mahita said...

Hey Man, this is fabulous post. I am very sure the blonde was not thinking CREEP, rather she must have been tad bit confused as she must not have expected it. the unwritten laws are well publicized by our implicit acts, which u broke that day!!!

Pramodini said...

Hey Sree...gud one man...it's monday morning that too with a 2 hr drive to office. But, instead of all the frustration and irritation, ur post got a chuckle out of me..lol. Nice one. So,how does it feel to be Mahatma for a while?? ;-)
-Pramu-